Follow LarikaMallier on Twitter Random Party: Bucket Listing Everyday!

Bucket Listing Everyday!

So many random things to say.
I love 'The Buried Life'. And I've watched only one episode. I don't even know when I'll catch another!
But I caught this one at the right time.
I needed something positive.
I'm generally positive without any help.
But today I needed help.
Waali is always the first to a rescue on most days;
This time only second to this show.
Now I'm not about to become an ardent follower, simply because I don't think I'm capable of ardently following ANYthing, but that's not going to keep me from loving the philosophy.
It's very "Pay It Forward"-like and THAT was one of the few movies that moved me so much, I cried and everything!


I used to think about what I wanted to do with my life "in the big picture" a lot. I still do.
But a couple of years ago (when I was more active in the SSU-our youth group), I used to think a lot about how I wanted to 'change lives' ultimately, one way or another.
I credit that mostly to my parents.
I still know that that's what I want to do, but along the way, it's been pretty easy getting self-involved and distracted with the everyday happy/sad nonsense life serves on it's messy platter.
I just realized, I haven't thought about or envisioned hypothetical situations of that dream coming true often enough lately. I used to have movies play out in my head before!
In some intense conversations in the past, I was faced repeatedly with the same question: 
"Why are you studying THIS? 
OR 
Why are you pursuing THAT."
I still am.


And of course the answers might seem selfish at first.
The answers are simple, after all.
I'm doing the things I do because they interest ME,
Because 'I' want to be able to,
Because they offer me the opportunity to stand out with whatever skills I develop in the process,
but above all, and most importantly, learning things or being the best version of yourself only renders YOU that much more capable of making an impact or a change, first hand.
It makes it that much 'easier' (as inappropriate as the word 'easy' may be) to make a difference.
I'm an architecture student and I joke about how I'm a work in progress, like most of us.
Under construction.
I have a long way to go.
But I believe in getting there.


I think everyone has a right to be different and be sure about it.
Bring something unique to the table.
Your chances of making an unforgettable, 'sizable' mark, are better that way.
All this remains entirely relative to your perception of size.
Changing one life is as big as changing a million, when it's for the better.
In the end, I maintain,
to each his/her own.
Another reason I love the concept of "The Buried Life" is 'cause there's really nothing 'holier than thou' about it. In fact, it's about fulfilling your own dreams (however ridiculous they may be) to help others do exactly that for themselves. 
And if you think about it, it's pretty fundamental in every way isn't it?
How can you make anyone happy unless you're happy yourself!


So, positivity struck. 
And that's good.
And while the bigger picture is still a while away, there's Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) for now.
RAK is a little something that we all do without realizing.
When you buy that beggar on the road a meal or help a struggling stranger with their bags or take the trouble to tell the lady riding pillion on the bike that her dupatta is dangerously close to the back wheel or just smile (not creepily) at a passer by - to quote the average, everyday, most common RAKs - 
you're making a difference.
So why not just consciously make a bigger effort? =)


No I don't claim to be a wise-man, a poet or a saint 

I'm just another man who's searching for a better way 

But my heart beats loud as thunder 

For the things that I believe 
Sometimes I wanna run for cover 
Sometimes I want to scream!



Bang a drum for tomorrow 

Bang a drum for the past 

Bang a drum for the heroes that won't come back 
Bang a drum for the promise 
Bang a drum for the lies 
Bang a drum for the lovers and the tears they've cried 
Bang a drum, bang it loudly 
Or as soft as you need 
But as long as my heart keeps on bangin' 
I got a reason to believe.
- Bon Jovi


2 comments:

Sonia Singh said...

Subtly put, but an explosive monologue. Love it!

Unknown said...

Admirable the things you think and say...DAD