Follow LarikaMallier on Twitter Random Party: These observations are just flowing now!

These observations are just flowing now!

Alright, so in my spirit of having to have to list things, I'm gonna give in to a 
"Part 3" of my Observations Series.
(Ooooo "Series". Faaancy!)


Anyhoo...


Posture. 
It's apparently really true that posture (especially when you work) plays a BIG role in your productivity,  number of productive working hours endured, quality of work! I'm one of those people who loves to work sitting on the bed, pillow stuffed up behind for me to lean against, legs stretched out, lappy on my thighs and mouse on the bed. I'm not against this method and I was not successfully talked out of it either. But, I did finally change. I moved to the desk. Now I'm sure I'll return for a dose of work on the bed, once in a while, but here's why I (silently - without letting the parents know they were right, 'cause they already know that! And are probably sniggering while they read this - whenever they do-) made the shift. 
Under the inevitable "last minute" pressure, I become more aware of the time I waste and how.
Getting too comfortable. (read: slipping slowly from the initially formed right angle position to an almost 180 degree angle!)
Getting too uncomfortable. (read: weird tired feelings from having to hold the back in place while gradually slipping from 90 degrees to 180 degrees, resulting in an overall tiredness that is in fact not related to the proportion of work done but only to the ridiculous/ subconscious body movement going on while doing it.)
As someone who's studied anthropometry and has to deal with ergonomics on a daily basis I really shouldn't have needed all this unnecessary "experience" to learn this age-old fact!
Or maybe I just don't like to admit my parent's are right. =)
Whatever, Ma-Da. I'm sitting at the table! Happy?




Nothing is easy.
So I study architecture. It's no cake-walk and very often in moments of frustration I think irrationally; thoughts to the effect of 
"I wish I could just give this up and be a dancer!". 
And then I calm down and get sane again and realize, 
I actually know some dancers. 
Although they, and what they can do, look almost flawless, beautiful and oh-so-effortless, I know the agony they endure to get there.
So, I watch a movie. Man! Movies are so cool. 
I should've just gone to film school. Movies are such fun!
 Get a camera and roll. How hard could it be?... 
Watch the production of pretty much any good movie and you'll see what a labour of love it really is!
Hmmm. I like to write. Writing comes relatively easily to me. 
I might've made a really good journalist. 
But, this year, writing became work (through my dissertation) 
and suddenly something I enjoy 
got hard to do! =O
Ok. News reporters and T.V. anchors have such cool jobs! 
But, inspite of the fact that I love travel, how willing am I going to be to put myself in harms way if (in my hypothetical-reporter-world) I was asked to go cover the latest natural calamity or results of political unrest, on location! 
Scratch all that!
I wish I was back in school, without so much to worry about and not even thinking about what career I want to pursue. Then I take a break to read the papers, and everyday I read article after article about stressed out school kids who somehow seem to think the only answer to their problems is death.
(Lets not get in to who's to blame for THAT. Although, give Bachi Karkaria's 'Blood on the Playground' a read.)
Nothing is easy.
The grass just always seems greener on the other side.
And the truth is, it's just as prickly as the grass you're rolling in right now.
The challenge is to find the grass that pricks the way you like it. 
The way you can handle it.
That's stretching the grass-metaphor a bit, but I guess what I mean is, 
accept the choices you make.
And yeah, do what you love, but don't expect it not to hurt a little. Endure.
I'm sure there'll be a fair share of satisfaction on the other side of your patient persistence. If there isn't, then maybe you need a change. I'm still waiting to find out, for myself.


An appended observation to that one above:
When you've got yourself a tough target, that seems to be draining you with every effort you make to reach it,
it's going to seem like you're never going to get there. 
Until,
you're there.
I guess the all elusive "they" are right when they say,
"Don't think about it. Just think through it."


Hey!
18th March:
After much sitting at the famous table.
I have an aching neck.
Gimme a break!
No.
Really.
Like, two weeks would be good.


Pune University!!!!
Are you listening?!?!

5 comments:

Mehvash said...

I don't know about output, cuz none of my academics is output-oriented. It's mostly input-oriented, but the observation still stands true! Sleeping on the bed while reading a textbook automatically makes it pleasure reading in my head.

And right about the parents also! HOW do they always know? =D

Laralils said...

Go figure.
But, not always haan. :)


(If you're my kid reading this in the waaaay-distant future.
I'm the exception.
I KNOW it all.
*scowl* GO sit at the table :P)

NP said...

:) @ comment above.
But LA seriously jus beautiful writing.. loved this one.. so true.. so apt <3

Laralils said...

:* ... :) <3

(we've developed a whole other language with these symbols na!? :P )

Pranjali said...

LOVED IT!