Follow LarikaMallier on Twitter Random Party: A Comedy of Errors.

A Comedy of Errors.

Traffic in Pune.
THAT is what I'm talking about.
I was driving today, one inch at a time, and yelling occasional, almost involuntary curses at other people on the road.
This is a very common thing. Anyone who's been in a car with me driving would understand.
The Indian road ethic is something to marvel at. (I'm Indian... I'm sure there were more than my fair share of those curses being verbally flung my way too!)
But getting back to this 'ethic'.
It's obscene. Thoroughly rude and careless. And completely harmonious.
You just can't deny the fact that it, somehow!, works. (Personally, I think it's some kind of divine intervention because God feels sorry for us)
It's like we're out there on the road and it's our river.
We're the droplets that don't need to flow in lines because we're so good at rolling together in ALL conceivable directions, happily criss-crossing paths.
Ok. NOT so happily.

Honestly, after the first couple of angry outbursts I started to grin to myself... and even started to laugh, eventually.
Indian roads are a sight! For sore eyes or otherwise!
Actually, I want to recommend Pune's MG Road on a Saturday evening as a tourist location. Yes, why not add MORE people to the equation in the name of sight-seeing.
From the rider of a two-wheeler, with the most determined look on his face (he's now planning his skilled, traffic weaving moves to come out ahead of the crippled four-wheeling lot) to the arrogant, loud-mouthed honker (who, somewhere deep within his soul, truly believes that his relentless honking will enlighten everything in his way, causing them to part like the red sea, so he can cruise through like Moses. Try and understand his feelings.), every character on the road is worth taking in. 
The calm policeman who just manages to keep everyone moving without going crazy is the real rockstar though!
I've always been a people-watcher kind of person. I think people are awesome. Watching them? Better.
But one of the best parts of the Indian system is that, there is no discrimination.
Humans and Animals are equal.
The buffalo has every right to be on that road and is also trying to get somewhere. Remember that the next time you spend five minutes blowing your horn at it or swearing at it for not letting you by.
And don't be surprised if you find me dining with my friend the orangutan at the table near you when you go out.

Sigh! 





No comments: